I am generally weary of the way data is tracked and collected across the Internet and use ad-blockers and security software to block unwanted trackers when browsing the web myself. Data on visitors to this website is quite valuable to me however - not just for marketing - but simply to see how you found me and how you use this website. As a compromise I've elected to use Matomo, an open-source alternative to Google Analytics, for user tracking. This has a few advantages:
- It is self hosted. All user data collected is not shared with anyone else and remains on this server only. I am not tracking you across the web, but do note repeat visits to this page.
- I can't guarantee that no-one will ever be able to 'break in' and obtain access to the data collected. Absolute security just doesn't exist. I maintain your anonymity, however, by only logging the first two blocks of your IP address - i.e. 192.168.xxx.xxx - making it impossible to trace you, specifically, from that data.
- I respect 'Do Not Track' preferences of your web-browser. If you activate it in your browser this website doesn't set a tracking cookie of any type. For more information and guides on how to do that see donottrack.us
As per the GDPR you have the right to:
- access all of the data stored about you.
- request erasure of all data stored about you.
- rectification of parts of your data.